I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Quest for the GOLD

One of "several" lost gold items that I know of is a gold ring that was lost at this old house seat I'm in the process of cleaning up. In the late 40's or early 50's my wife's aunt and uncle lived there. The aunt had taken the ring off to wash her hands in a wash pan of water. According to her account of the story the ring was somehow bumped into the pan of water unnoticed and then was thrown out the back door with the water. Although looked for many times the ring was never found. I have spent several hours searching the area with a metal detector and have found lots of household items including 2 silver mercury dimes in fair condition and an Indian Head penny in very poor condition but the quest for the gold continues.





Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

I think I know now what Patch needs for his next birthday....

Who knows what he might find on the site of an old auction mart?

Good luck with the ring. What will you do with it if you find it?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Don't know for sure yet. Since it's on my land, there's no question of ownership. Probably add it to my collection to pass on to my boys and/or their kids.

You can get a pretty decent metal detector between $200 and $400. The cache of silver dollars Dad and I found has more than paid for all the detectors I've owned.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Here are the links to the silver dollar story.

"http://hstallard.blogspot.com/2005/04/lost-treasures-of-southwest-virginia.html"

"http://hstallard.blogspot.com/2005/04/some-of-silver-dollars-from-comstock.html"

"http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,75389.0.html"

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

That's a great story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <