I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, September 17, 2007

I Just Don't Understand Some People

I was backing up another officer the other day. He had pulled over a vehicle with 3 occupants in it. It turned out that the driver and both passengers were all suspended. The vehicle had a tag on it that came back to another vehicle and different person. Standard procedure is to take possession of the tags and tow the vehicle.

This of course leaves the 3 people on foot. So they call someone to come and pick them up. When this happens, we ALWAYS check the license of the person picking them up. Now you would think that when they called the 4th person to come and get them they would have told them WHY they needed a ride.

Anyway, the 4th person shows up, pulls up behind the police cruiser, you know...the one with the pretty red and blue
flashing lights and all of the nice policemen standing around it. So we check this new person and they aren't suspended but REVOKED with 4 previous convictions for driving suspended on their record. By rights we could have taken 4th person into custody and taken them to jail.

While the other officer was filling out the ticket for person #4, they were in a heated discussion with driver #1 (who was a relative) for not telling them that the police were there. Anyway we issue all the tickets, vehicle gets towed, and everyone leaves but what I don't understand is why people want to make our job so easy?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger CG said...

see, losing faith in humanity, one person at a time. Or in this case, four at a time.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger CG said...

ummm, five, I can't count.

And a RELATIVE too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <