I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Thursday, March 20, 2008

WHY I DON'T MISS TEACHING

Our local middle school (grades 4-8) held their annual Health Fair today. I manned our table with a display about the dangers of abusing over the counter drugs...especially cough syrup containing DXM . Also see the Sarah Sliverman video below.

The kids were super cool as far as I was concerned. It was the teachers that I took exception with. If the prison system ever needs extra guards, I know where they can fill the need. All the teachers need, would be the guard uniforms. They've got everything else down already. From standing in the hallways with arms crossed and stern looks at anyone who gets out of line or talks to the bullhorn in the cafeteria to tell the kids how, when, and where to eat, sit, line up, go to the bathroom, empty their trays, etc.

I just wish they could see themselves through my eyes.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, I also used to teach and the schools are not the same. I wouldn't last a week if I had to go back to teaching. It is no wonder that so many children are on prescription drugs. When I was in elementary school we had a morning recess and lunch recess and an afternoon recess. Plus the teacher had time each day for Physical Fitness, indoor or out. It is no wonder that our children are fat and unruly They get PE 1x per week if they are lucky and if they are good and all of their work is caught up the get about 15 minutes after lunch. If you ask me this is as much child abuse as it is in other forms, next they will be locking our kids in cages!

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

What do you mean next?

Take a good look at a school now...armed security, cameras, metal detectors, locked doors. It doesn't have to have bars to be a cage. And that's just the physical part. We've been locking our kids in mental cages for years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <