I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Saturday, October 02, 2004

Self-Defense for Kids

CHILDREN'S SELF-DEFENSE

Basics

A. Get away YOU CAN'T FIGHT THEM

1. Safe Areas to run to...
a. nearest adult
b. nearest house
c. occupied vehicle

2. What to do after you get away...
a. call 911
b. give description of assailant and vehicle
c. WAIT for parents or police to come

B. Tricks to watch for...

1. fake stories...your Mom, Dad, etc, sent me to get you because...
2. asking for directions, looking for certain person or place...
3. wanting you to help them do something...
4. something that will get you within grabbing distance of their vehicle...

C. Areas to attack to help you get away...

1. groin (on males only)...use kick, knee, strike, or grab
2. eyes...fingers or hard objects (eyeglasses smash them against their face)
3. throat...fingers or hard objects

Defense situations

A. Walking

1. BE AWARE OF YOUR SURROUNDINGS AT ALL TIMES
2. Beware of dark areas
3. Keep escape route in mind...run to lit areas with people
4. Swing wide at corners and alleys
5. Don't go alone
6. Tell someone where you are going and about when you will be back
7. If attacked DON"T SCREAM...YELL something like "Help he's trying to
hurt me!!"

B. Home alone

1. Don't open door to strangers
2. If they want to use the phone tell them NO
3. If someone calls...NEVER tell them you're alone
4. If they keep calling back, tell them you are expecting a call and don't want
the phone tied up.
5. If someone is breaking in call 911 and hide or go out a back way to a safe
place.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <