I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

THREE STRIKES AND YOU'RE DEAD






Bow season for deer is open now. I had court this morning so I didn't get into the woods until around 1 PM. I literally ran into this Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake just before I got to my stand. I always kill a venomous snake around a house or populated area but one that is out in the wild is usually another matter. I tried 3 times to go around this one in the path and all 3 times it struck at me so using my back-up .38, I dispatched him/her/whatever it was. It had 9 buttons on the rattle. You can just make them out in the second picture. The arrow is 31 inches long so the snake probably will go 37-40 inches and weighed around 4-5 pounds. I've seen around 12-15 deer so far but not had a good shot at any yet. Almost all of the deer I've seen this year have been smaller than normal. I don't know if I'm seeing yearlings (last years fawn) or if the deer really are smaller this year.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <