I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, March 28, 2008

Mountain Lion Hoax in Virginia

Mountain Lion (near Wise, VA)

This lion was hit between Cherry Reservoir Road and High Knob area (near Wise, VA) by a car. Game and Fish had to come and put him down. He charged at the Fish and Game guy in the process. Look at his PAWS!.
Bill Shaeffer and Frank Womack helped with the capture



Cougar Hoax in Wise County
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 15:44:04 -0400
From: Allen.Boynton@dgif.virginia.gov Add Mobile Alert

To: hstallard@yahoo.com

Dear Harold,

The reported recovery of a cougar by VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries staff near Big Cherry Reservoir in Wise County is a hoax. The lion pictured was actually killed by a vehicle in Arizona earlier this year. The man in the photos is Arizona DPS Officer Ellico. Visit these links to see news stories written about these pictures that were revealed as hoaxes in West Virginia and Kentucky.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08069/863382-358.stm

http://www.wpsdtv.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=1fff5d3d-b5a9-4865-9661-76e20284a461
(scroll down to the bottom for the story on this url)


I don't know who Bill Shaeffer or Frank Womack are, but they don't work for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. If someone with DGIF had been called about this as was stated in the email, that person would have been Johnny Wills, Wise County District Biologist, or Tim Hayes, Wise County Conservation Police Officer. Neither responded to any such situation. As an additional bit of info, note the deer racks in the background of the first photo. They are mule deer racks.

Please call me if you have any questions.

Allen Boynton
VA Dept. Game & Inland Fisheries
Regional Wildlife Manager
Marion, VA
(276) 783-4860

11 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I am originally from Wise Co., Va., I sort of believed the story because in 1943 I personally saw a Cougar in Stonega,Va. In 1980 I also came upon a young cougar at a place called Crest, between Exeter and Keokee Va.I was very surprised at the young one because it was a flat black color.By young, I mean about a year old.I have found cougar tracks in the snow and mud in that area.

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anonymous = no credability

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wondering How much did it weigh and what's the gender of the mountain lion and do you think there is anymore?

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Anonymous...

Did you not follow the links?

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No lie. I played football for UVA-Wise last fall and one day up on the practice field i happend to look on the hill where the lake is up there and i saw what appeared to be a deer but it didn't run like a deer and i said that was a mountain lion or a bobcat and no one believed me. Then I was parking my car at the stadium one night around 10 or so and as i was walking back to campus i heard a loud screaming type of noise as i was walking. I knew that it wasn't human and from watching the discovery channel i knew certain "cats" made that noise so i ran the hell out of there. I am glad to see that i wasn't trippin and they finally found one... but I thank god that the mountain lion didn't find me lol

 
At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! :)

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free Union, Va.
Our friend's neighbor hunting deer on his property.
Dragging his deer back to the house.
Left the deer and his gun at the edge of the woods about 200 yards from the house.
Returned to the deer, hours later and it was mangled.
He mounted a camera over the deer carcass.
Next day. The camera caught 3 moutain lions devouring the remains of the deer.
I thought that these big cats were solitary?
Must have been the female and 2 juveniles?

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous funny gifs said...

Amazing, i like this

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous funny animated images animated funny pictures funny animated photos funny animated picture funny animated pic animated funny pics animated funny said...

waooooooooooo very nice

 
At 2:38 AM, Anonymous click here said...

nice i really like this.

 
At 1:03 AM, Anonymous photo funny said...

i was walking back to campus i heard a loud screaming type of noise as i was walking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <