I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, October 16, 2006

Rock Mystery




While hunting in Albemarle county last weekend, I ran into a minor mystery. Throughout the whole wooded area (around 1000 acres) we were hunting in we kept finding rocks that had been turned over. Now I know that bears like to turn over and pull apart logs for the grubs that are in them but I have never read about them doing it to rocks. There was only one other hunter on the farm and he was in another area. It was a random pattern and I couldn't see where anything had been disturbed other than the rock itself. Most of the rocks were of such a size as to rule out all animals except man and bears. I'll be going back to hunt again in early November during the muzzle loading season and maybe I can "dig" up an answer for this mystery.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if maybe someone was "geo-caching"?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I don't think so...it was too random over a large area. If I had to put my money down it would be on a bear although I couldn't see any evidence such as tracks or claw marks where it had dug under the rock. Some of the rocks were so fresh they had dirt still clinging to the sides and others were obviously several weeks old. Damn...that's all I need now more bear worries.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <