I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, August 18, 2006

For CG

Standing l to r...F. McCoy(principal), B.J. Blevins, J. Price, D. Kern, L. Fleenor, R. Carico, and M. Vance?.
Seated l to r...Louella ? (librarian...can.t remember her last name), R. Hamn, C. Addington, R. Judd, E. Kilgore, ???, and F. Stapleton.

CG said "Gosh we're old".

H. Stallard said "Speak for yourself, I don't get old, I just grow older".

I just noticed that your 4th grade teacher isn't in this group. She's the one who got me in hot water with her innuendoes and just plain lies.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger CG said...

I recognize fewer of these. Kern of course. Vaguely McCoy. The one you've got labeled M. Vance looks like Doc Turner's wife to me. I remember my mother talking about Faye -- maybe she lived on school house hill and so you were likely to see her anytime you were walking to town. Luella's last name was Whittaker.

Ah but I would recognize fewer of these since I never had them, switching schools and all. I believe my 4th grade teacher was evil incarnate and that is why she didn't show up in the photograph.

I wonder how many of these people are dead now. I always assume SHE is dead. And I'm amazed when I look at photos of my wedding, how many people who were there are dead.

SHE, to name the devil, is/was Mrs. Linthecum. Did she have a first name? Her husband was a preacher who was shortly thereafter caught sleeping with someone else. They moved to eastern Virginia shortly thereafter. I'm sure she was miserable. She deserved to be.

And not a single teacher or administrator, save you, would stand up against her.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

McCoy, Blevins, Carico, Hamm, and Stapleton I know are gone. You're right, that was Turner. In the other group Jordan and McConnell are dead. There are probably others that I don't know about. I think that Nellie Linthecum didn't join the faculty until the next year. I don't know what became of her.

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger CG said...

NELLIE! Nellie was her name??? Just like the mean little girl on Little House on the Prairie! LOL! OMG! I'm loving that. I don't think I ever knew her name! NellieNellieNellie!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Yelp, Nellie B. Linthecum. Don't know what the B stood for though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <