I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, November 17, 2006

Sex Offender Registry

Recently one of my other blogger friends had a question about how to find out if someone was a registered sex offender.

Most states that have a registry, have a link to it either on the main state web site or on their state police site.

The friend that asked about it seemed to think that she was being overly protective of her kids but I say that is something that you can never be too protective about. One of the things I always did when I was talking to my students about being careful around strangers was to show them all of the pictures of registered sex offenders in their and the surrounding counties because what you don't know CAN hurt you.

Most registries will give you a picture, name, address, and offense. Some like the one in VA will give you a map showing the actual location of the offender.

For the Virginia registry go here...
http://sex-offender.vsp.virginia.gov/sor/html/search.htm

For the Tennessee registry go here...
http://www.ticic.state.tn.us/SEX_ofndr/search_short.asp

For other states you can do a Google search for their registry.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <