I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Thursday, April 19, 2007

My heart cries for the losses at VT. I watch the images of the wounded being carried out and see the pictures of the slain and my heart aches. I cry for the parents who have to bury their children....something no parent should ever have to do. I see the face of the shooter, twisted in hate and I want to hurt him. I hear the endless debate and accusations and one thing is clear in my mind...If someone wants something bad enough and is willing to pay the price it is almost impossible to stop them.

Having said that, I want to ask "Why did so few of the victims try to fight back"? I know what panic can do to your reasoning...I've been there a time or two when I was lost in the woods. Yes, run to escape if escape is possible...hide if there is somewhere to hide...but if escaping and hiding aren't possible and you know you most likely aren't going to survive...then go out fighting. There had to have been times while he was reloading or switching weapons that he could have been rushed. When I taught self-defense in my Karate classes, I tried to make my students understand that self-defense was a state of mind.

You have to have the right mind set to fight back against those who would do you harm. Contrary Goddess said it in her latest post "
Pacifism magnifies violence".

I say to those who killed the bill to give students and employees the
legal right to carry handguns on campus, What if just one person had had a handgun there on scene during his rampage? How proud now are you of your actions to make everyone on campus FEEL safe?


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <