I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, October 15, 2004

A Doughnut Tale

The Problem with Doughnuts

Recently a friend asked me to buy some doughnuts from his daughter. Seems that her school group was trying to raise money for a trip,so I said yes.

He brought them by yesterday and not having any other convenient place to store them I put them on the kitchen counter. Now one thing you can be sure of with doughnuts out in plain sight is that every time you go by they all start yelling “Eat me, eat me!”

I managed to ignore them until breakfast this morning. I always felt that a good hot cup of coffee went hand and hand with a nice doughnut. The problem is that you run out of doughnut before you finish the coffee, so naturally you get another one to finish out the coffee. But then you have part of a doughnut and no coffee so you fill your cup again. I never could manage to make it come out so that the last bite of doughnut was washed down with the last sip of coffee.

To make a long story short, I got to thinking that as long as they were there I was going to have to listen to their constant yelling at me to eat them which does tend to get on one’s nerves after a while. The obvious solution would be to get rid of the doughnuts. Not being a wasteful type, I couldn’t see throwing them away and Sadie (my dog) who only likes the lemon filled ones wouldn’t touch them. I finally managed to come up with a simple solution that completely removed all temptation and didn’t waste them. I ate them all. Now as I waddle through the kitchen I don’t have to listen to all that silly yelling about “Eat me”.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <