I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, July 31, 2006

Purely Appalachia Craft Empowerment

Purely Appalachia Crafts Center is located in the historic Lay’s Furniture and Hardware Building in downtown Coeburn, features a retail shop with a wide selection of quality handmade crafts from southwest Virginia. Items include quilts, pottery, brooms, weaving, candles, and soaps. Classes are offered in quilting, pottery and other traditional crafts. The center also hosts live music every Friday night.

































These last pictures are especially for MCM.








Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

You found some patterns that are new to me! Not the last, but the second and third to last I've never seen before, but they have a traditional look to them. I'll have to browse through some quilt sites and see if I can name those blocks. Thanks!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger CG said...

I've thought of you and Purely Appalachian together many times MadCap! There is a mezzanine type area overhead and usually the entire railing has quilts hanging over it. They love having quilts to sell.

Also, in Jonesborough, Tennessee (not far) there is a huge quilt fest every year, with classes, vendors, shows, etc.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

You know, apart from the wooden products, those displays could be the same ones here in Alberta! Unfortunately, there's very little market for individually made quilts here. The Sears catalogue has slave-labour quilts made overseas for the same price as a Walmart comforter, you see....

We have an enormous congregating of quilters here every year too. I went once but was so overwhelmed by the crowds that I never went again.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger CG said...

Crowds bother me too. I sometimes brave them, but rarely. There is even as we speak a festival in Abingdon Virginia going on. I used to love it, grew up going to it with my mom. She liked the antiques (huge antiques venue). I liked the art, photography, crafts, literature. It has been so many years now since I went. Too many people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <