I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, July 24, 2006

Guest River Gorge Trail

Click on the title for information.




The bottom black layer is a seam of coal.






Man hole in the tunnel.









Don't mess with me and I won't mess with you!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. It's super special to me. I wanted to know if you could give more information on the tunnel. I know of one in Norton, but are there others to see? Is there a website with any history information available? Also, what are your top ten picks of places to see or things to do in Wise County?

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

About the only thing I know about the tunnel is it's name (Swede Tunnel) and it's construction date (1922) and that it's about 100 yards long. I couldn't find anything else on the web about it. I'll keep looking though. There is another tunnel that goes under the new bypass as you go from Coeburn to St Paul. That one is still being used by the railroad. I'll see what I can find out about it. There is a really short tunnel 47'7" called Bee Rock Tunnel in Appalachia. http://www.railpictures.net/articles/article.php?id=1

As to my top ten picks of places to see or things to do in Wise County, I'll have to give it some thought and get back to you on that one.

Thanks for stopping by...if you have a blog, I would be interested in visiting it.

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Tim Rose said...

i found a very weird rock there. i carried it 5 miles back out of there from a fishing trip. it is 8 inches perfectly round and weigh about 8 pounds as well. is there stuff like that around there? if so what could it be.was looking to find out about this more and any help would be awesome,thanks Tim

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Does it look like it might be man made or do you think it's a natural formation...I haven't seem anything like that around here...do you know what type of rock it might be...sandstone, granite, etc? I would like to see a picture of it, you could email it to hstallard@yahoo.com.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <