I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, November 12, 2004

Deer-track Soup

Anyone who deer hunts by themself will tell you that getting a deer is the easy part. After that the real fun begins. First you field dress your kill and then comes the wonderful experience of dragging it and all of your equipment out to where you left the truck or at least where you think you left the truck. Anyway I prefer to hunt uphill so the drag will be downhill. But it doesn't always work out that way.
My grandfather used to tell a story about a monster buck that he estimated would weigh 200+ pounds. He had parked at the top of the mountain and followed an old logging road about 2 miles down the back side when the buck stepped out of a thicket in front of him. He was about to shoot when he remembered where he was and let the buck go. When asked later why he didn't shoot he said that it was easier to make some deer-track soup than to drag that old buck 2 miles uphill to the truck.

For those of you who don't know how to make deer-track soup...when you come in from hunting and you haven't seen anything but tracks all day long and someone asks you about your luck you tell them you'll be eating deer-track soup for supper today.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:58 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I've seen a couple of does and had a turkey almost fly into me but nothing legal to shoot at. Had a really good stand Wed. evening where deer were crossing a ridge. About 3:30 that evening another hunter walked to within 20 yards of me and sat down, I coughed, he saw me, weaved, and stayed put. Rather than have a confrontation with him I just left. I'll get to hunt Monday and Tuesday and then we're going back to Brandon's for Thanksgiving. We have another muzzle loading season in Dec. so I still have time to hunt.

Harold

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <