I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Friday, September 16, 2005

Guns in the Home


Over the Labor Day Weekend, the town of Coeburn held their annual Guest River Rally featuring arts, crafts, rides, and displays. I spent all day on Saturday manning the Police booth handing out information on different programs and free gun locks to any who wanted them. I talked to a lot of people and we gave away 700+ gun locks. Not everyone wanted them for guns. Several planned to use them as bicycle locks and one little old lady was planning to lock her lawn mower to the fence. Anyway my standard question to those who visited our booth was "Do you want some gun locks for your guns?" I got back two kinds of "NO" answers. Some said, NO what good is a gun when you need it if it is locked up? and some said, NO they didn't have any of those horrible things in their house. Most of the ones who took locks to use on their guns said that they still had at least one weapon that was readily available upon need. So the point I'm trying to make is that there are 3 kinds of homes here in my area and 2 out of those 3 would not be the kind of home an intruder would want to break into.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <