I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, May 29, 2006

Itsy Bitsy



Found this little fellow while working in the garden yesterday.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

Is that a matchbook?!!

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

No, it' a turtle...oh, you mean the green paper thingie next to it...yeah that's one of those military waterproof matchbooks that come in their MRE's
Meals Ready to Eat!

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

What kind of turtle is it? My kids were fascinated and we'd like to look up some more information. I'm pretty sure we don't have any native turtles up here, but I'll have to double check.

We're pretty short on snakes, too, though we do have the garter snakes, and in some quarters far too many! There was a school in either Saskatchewan or Manitoba last year that was infested with them, they were coming out of the vents and dropping on people's heads. In southern Alberta they have rattlers and copperheads.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I'm not really sure what kind it is. Maybe someone out there knows. I'll do some research and see what I can find. There is a swamp about 30 yards from where I found him. Of course 30 yards is a far piece for a little fellow like him. This week alone I've seen a black snake and a ring neck snake in the yard while mowing. The black snake I left alone but the little ring neck I didn't see till I got him with the weed eater. In years past I've killed several copperheads within 100 yards of the house. This is at my Mom-in-law's house down in Possum Hollow.

Sorry about the green paper thingie comment but it was too good of a punch line to let get past me. I only joke and kid around with those I consider friends.

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

I only joke and kid around with those I consider friends.

I'm honoured, sir! If you're ever up this way, you're welcome to tea ;-) and such wine as is left after Chive's midnight ramblings...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <