I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Now That's One Tough Pussy Cat





Jack, a 15-pound orange-and-white cat, sits under a treed black bear in a backyard in West Milford, N.J., Sunday, June 4, 2006. When the bear climbed down, the cat chased it up another nearby tree. Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat. The cat's owners called it away and the bear ran off. (AP Photo/Suzanne Giovanetti)




A couple of summers ago we had a large (500+ pounds according to the game warden) bear wandering around here in town and on the 4-lane. We followed it around for the better part of 2 hours trying to run it back into the woods. Finally a small dog about the same size as the cat above chased it full speed over the hill, across the road, and back into the woods.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

Strange what will intimidate an animal. It's a great story.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <