I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Earth First at Little Stony Falls



Rode up to the Falls to check out the Earth Firsters today. There were around 50 vehicles parked along side the road. Tags were from just about every state including Texas, California, Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Indiana,
Wyoming, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Maine, Massachusett, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, North Carolina, and Oregon just to name the ones I can remember. Talked to the people manning the registration site. They were very elusive and vague about what they were there for. All they actually said was straight from their web site.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

They drove all that way on behalf of environmentalism, huh? Hmmm.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I wonder about that. Most of them probably believe in what they say they are doing but what other motives do they have. Are the enviromental issues their real motives or the excuse for something else. If any of you all out there know anything about this group, I would appreciate the feedback.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger CG said...

I do not know anything about them personally, but you did read that article in the Coalfield recently? The one where the earthfirster said he didn't care what the local people thought? They didn't need to conduct a Hillary-type listening tour?

I bet when they leave, there will be trash left. I bet they haven't been sanitary around Little Stoney.

They need to be hungry and not have a rich mamma and daddy to feed them, pay the insurance on their cars, not be about to get government or grantmongering jobs, etc.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

While trying to draw them out as to their purpose, I asked what they were doing here and one of them told me it was the Round River Roundevouz of the Earth First Movement. I then asked again...Ok what are you DOING here? Then in a really condescending way he started "Roundevouz is the French word that means..." At this point I interrupted him and told him "I know what a damn roundevouz is...what the hell are you all doing here?" That's when he started spouting their line from the web site. When he told me they were going to be touring some mine sites I laughed and said "You're in Red Neck country now boy...some of them "Good Ol' Country Boy Miners would whoop your all's ass. When I mentioned that I had seen bears less than 1/2 mile from where they were camped he said they had several experienced woodsmen in their midst and knew how to keep them away...then he said "Besides we smell pretty strong so we really aren't worried about them".

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger CG said...

I happen to know some folks of the Rainbow Tribe personlly. I haven't checked this out but I understand that the FS kept them out, arrested them on NF land, this year (I think in Colorado but they were in NC only a few years ago). Now, Rainbows smoke a bit, sure, but I don't think they promote terrorism which EarthFirst! does. Me, I'm not sure of the Constitutionality of keeping the Rainbows from gathering on public land, but IF they can do that, surely they could do that to EarthFirst!

I'm pretty sure your Clinch Coalition folks are part of this bunch

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Antonio Quintana said...

Gracias por visitar mi BLog. Saludos cordiales

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <