I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Monday, September 19, 2005

I Believe in Gun Control

Pull the butt snug against your shoulder, take a deep breath, let it half out and then hold it, and ever so gently squeeze the trigger.

30 cal. M1 Carbine telescopic sights at 50 yards

This is a relatively low powered rifle with an effective range of 200-300 yards. It is the rifle I intend to use for deer hunting this year as it has already put meat on the table several times before. It is also the weapon I'm qualified on and carry in the trunk of the police cruiser.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

Hi! You know, I'm not against guns per se, but I find this a bit bewildering. Is there really such a security issue where you live? I'm in Canada, and we have different gun laws.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

It’s not so much a security issue now as what it could easily become. Just look at New Orleans. For days, there was no law in New Orleans and no government to speak of. All rules were off. I’ve read story after story on the net of how someone had to use a firearm to protect their life and property (property that meant the difference in surviving or not in this case).

http://gunlawnews.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=247&Itemid=2

In my area most homes have at least one long gun of some kind that is or was used for hunting by different generations of that household. I grew up around firearms. From an early age I was taught to respect what they could do and learned the safe way to handle them. Most people around here who own firearms were taught the same way. And while most firearms are used for target practice or hunting their primary purpose is for defense of self and your loved ones.

At least once having a firearm has possibly saved myself and my family from harm. A drunken neighbor was shooting his shotgun off inside his house and outside next to my house. Some of the pellets that were shot into the air were falling and hitting the roof of my house. While my wife took our two young children to the safety of the basement and called the police I stepped out on the porch with my rifle. When he say and heard me chambering a round he retreated into his house where 4 carloads of deputies found him passed out.

So to answer your question “Yes, it is a security issue.” As a part time police officer I “KNOW” that we can’t always be there in time to stop someone so you had better be ready to do it yourself.

If you haven’t already read my blog on self- defense.
http://hstallard.blogspot.com/2004/10/state-of-mind.html

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Used an M1 Carbine this last deer season in West Virginia (nice and light - equipped very similar to the one in your picutre). Shot a deer @ about 50 yds (Winchester X30MI shells - hollow points). Went down in 1 shot. Home defense? I'm getting a big YES!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <