I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Shotgun verses rifle

Ghillie Suit

At the time of the drunken neighbor I only had a single shot breakdown 20 gauge. I also had a Ruger mini-14 with one of those terrible long ugly banana clips that are so "bad". When I racked the bolt and he heard it and saw me with it coming up to my shoulder he actually ran into his house. Now I do have a Rem model 870 pump that makes that spine chilling ker-chunk sound when you rack in the first round. Here at the house I can either grab the Rem. 870 shotgun or my duty weapon (Springfield 1911A1 .45 auto).

One of the officers here rolled up on a fight with about a dozen people involved, jumped out of the cruiser, racked in a round and everyone froze when they heard it.

The really odd thing now is that law enforcement is getting away from the shotguns with buckshot because of the liability due to collateral damage. Bristol Va has replaced all of theirs with rifles and we have replaced the buckshot with slugs. We keep the shotguns in the overhead gun rack and the rifles in the trunk. The officer I worked with last night has an M4 (the short version of the M16) and the Deputies (sniper team) carry camo Rem .308 bolt action. They had a barricaded subject last night in Flatwoods. They borrowed our night vision because it was closer than theirs was. Anyway the sniper team in ghillie suits and night vision crept up to within a couple of feet of the subject. He had set up an ambush in the edge of the woods for whoever walked up the road. The funny thing was they smelled him (alcohol) before they saw him. Had they not had the ghillie suits and night vision there probably would have been shots fired.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

No I wouldn't, it's for the exact situation the county had last night, a subject first barricaded in an abandoned house and then hid in the woods. This took place out next to the Falls of Little Stoney. While it is unlikely we would have this situation in town we often go out into the county to back up the deputies. It's a tool that has certain restrictions and requirements for its use. I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it as was the case with the county's night vision last night. I DON'T agree with going away from buckshot but I have to follow policy. I'll have an article on frangible ammo ready soon. It covers some of your concerns.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Could you explain about the ghillie suits? I've never run into those before.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Ghillie suits are the cutting edge technology in camouflage. Wearing one of these an expert can actually get right next to a target in the woods without being seen. Military snipers depend on these for concealment. Although they don’t have to get that close before taking out a target. The two deputies wearing these walking a step at a time and pausing between steps walked to within 3 feet of the subject before they grabbed him.

This web site gives you a much more detailed explanation.

http://www.specwarnet.com/kit/ghillie.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <