I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Sunday, October 09, 2005

HTML Tags


Some of you might have noticed that my blog keeps changing in appearance. No, I don’t have an infestation of gremlins or mice, it’s just me playing with HTML Tags.
In one of the other homeschooling blogs I keep up with, the subject of playing “too much” came up. As a teacher, it took me most of my career to realize that schools don’t let (or even want) the kids to play. But that’s exactly how they learn best.
Back when the Apple+ and IBM’s were the latest thing in computers I took one class in programming. My last year of teaching, my job title was Computer Resource Person. I was basically an assistant to the computer technologists that came to our school 2 days a week (if we were lucky). I spent the day going from room to room taking care of all the minor computer stuff. Things like installing programs, running cables to relocate computers, debugging programs, etc.
My point is that I learned all of this by playing with the computer. I took no classes and had very limited help from any of our so called “computer expert”. So I figure if I play enough with this HTML thing I’ll become an expert and cash in big time and not have to work any more.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

Well, now I know where to come when I need a compu-brain to pick. This isn't one of the things I like to play with, but I like knowing how to do what I want to do. Tell you what, I've got cookies for trade, only slightly flattened, but very sweet...

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

I tried your like to "Self-Denfense, a basic human right", but it didn't work.

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

That should be "link", not "like". It's late, and I'm getting a little incoherent. Actually, I'm just trying to be a comment-star on your blog. 'night, Howard!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Yeah, I know, It's been down for a couple of days now. I'm hoping it just a minor problem on their end. It's a really good site.

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I just went to a couple of other sites that have a link to it and they are down too. So it has to be on their end.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Well, you could try it, Eleu, but I don't know how far you'll get on that path. Maybe if you've got some good chocolate in one hand and a backrub in the other.... and the lady in question could "link" to that...

Thanks for checking, Sir Stallard. Maybe I'll try it again in a few day.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Hey, you all, it's back up now.

Hal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <