I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Thursday, November 24, 2005

I'd Forgotten Just How Much Fun It Was

No, I didn't kill this one. It was given to me by a friend who has no more room in his freezer. I'm happy to get it but at the same time I have mixed feelings about those who continue to hunt when they don't need to. Me, I'm a meat hunter. I really don't care how big the antlers are on it as long as it's legal. In fact I would rather have a young tender spike or fat doe as compared to a big buck in rut. The meat from the first two is much better tasting in my opinion. Anyway I'd forgotten just how much fun it really is skinning, quartering, butchering and packing up the meat for the freezer. But that's how I spent most of my Thanksgiving today.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:12 AM, Blogger Sarah Elaine said...

Glad you eat the meat!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

That was one of the first things my Dad taught me when I started hunting. If you're not going to eat it, don't shoot it...was his favorite saying. There were plenty of nonliving targets to practice your marksmanship on. He grew up in the depression when ammunition was scarce and hunting meant the difference of having meat to eat or not. I have hunted for over 50 years and I still don't understand why someone wants to kill an animal and not eat it.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Yeah, I can't say I understand that either. Though it worked out well for you this year! Do you mix your wild meat with domestic, or do you take it straight up?

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Straight up. It usually ends up as jerky or steaks. I don't much care for roasts. One year Dad and I had access to a meat grinder and a recipe for breakfast sausage and mixed it with some beef. That was OK but jerky is still my favorite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <