I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cunning Workman

From the hands of Eleutheros...

Celtic Harp

Solid black walnut neck, pillar, sides and back.
Laminated birch soundbaord.
22 Tynex nylon strings.
Micro-thread tuning pins.
32” tall, 18” deep, 10½” wide.
8.8 pounds.
Natural wood color (no stains).
Tung oil finish.
The range is from G below middle C to g’, the same range as a violin or madolin from the open fourth string to first sring at the 12th fret. The tuning is diatonic and naturally suited for the keys of G and D. The harp can be easily retuned to any key.
The harp was designed around the ideal length and tension of the strings with all other considerations being secondary. This gives the soundboard a graceful curve. The neck and pillar are made of three pieces of solid wood laminated together for strength


Irish Bouzouki


Mahogany neck and sides.
Spruce top.
Padauk fretboard.
Walnut laminate back.
38” tall
14½” wide
25½” scale.
3½ pounds.
Action is low and the tension light so it is easy to play yet it has a surprisingly bright and loud voice. It is tuned one octave below a mandolin.

Appalachian Dulcimer

Made entirely of very old wormy chestnut.
Violin type tuning pegs.
Standard DAD tuning

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Oh, that's beautiful! I want to touch it! Is it yours now, Harold?

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Don't I wish...I had another picture that shows it even better but I've lost it. I'm going to ask Eleutheros to send it to me again and the specs on the other two instruments, a bouzouki and a dulcimer. They are in the Purely Appalachian store here in Coeburn.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Madcap said...

Merry Christmas, Harold! I hope 2006 holds many bendy, multilingual chocolate chip cookies for you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <