I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend. (J.R.R.Tolkien, The Two Towers)

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

Marko Kloos "Why the Gun is Civilization"

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Visiting Old Friends

Decided to go hunting for a while today as the weather was nice. Didn't see anything until I was on my way back to the truck. The picture above is a FRESH bear track. I know it's fresh because it is on top one of my boot prints where I went in.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Madcap said...

Were you hunting for something in particular?

We have bears that follow up and down the river here, but I've never seen one, only the "evidence". It's not great territory for them, since it's mostly farmland. Up north where I used to live, there was a lot more bush, so we had a lot more bears. Black bears, but I suppose there might have been the odd grizzly, too.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

Deer season with a muzzleloader is still in down here. I had first gone to one of my favorite spots only to find that they were in the process of drilling a gas well and laying a pipeline right through the middle of it. The track appears to be one of the cubs I saw earlier this year. I found out earlier that someone had killed Papa Bear about 300 yards from where I saw the cubs. I saw his picture and he was full grown.

 
At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. Remember that post about your irrational fear of bears. . . Well i admit i giggled a little bit. The thought of you out there hunting deer when there possibly could have been a Bear hunting you. hehehehe. I know i know, it wasn't stalking you or anything, but the paw print over your boot print is pretty funny.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger H. Stallard said...

I wasn't too worried since I was armed that time. I really don't know what I would have done if we had met. I don't want to shoot one unless I have too and then only with something besides a single shot muzzleloading rifle that doesn't always fire. I'm still using the older style sidelock percussion cap with open sights and they tend to misfire frequently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe in a reader <